Plant-based or plant-forward eating patterns focus on foods primarily from plants. This includes not only fruits and vegetables, but also nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes, and beans. It doesn’t mean that you are vegetarian or vegan and never eat meat or dairy. Rather, you are proportionately choosing more of your foods from plant sources.”Harvard Health Publishing | Harvard Medical School
Most of us were not raised to eat a vegetarian or vegan diet, but the long term health benefits of plant-based eating, healthy weight loss, and the reversal of chronic health conditions have been researched and reported for decades.
I’ve read articles for a couple of years but nothing convinced me to truly transition to whole food plant-based (WFPB) eating until watching some high profile documentaries and listening to these renown healthcare professionals that include top cardiologists, surgeons, nutritionists, athletes and more.
If improved health and longevity is your goal or just curious—here are a some resources that were helpful to me and my husband. I will continue to add to the list, so feel free to bookmark this page.
Where to Find WFPB Facts & Experts
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine — 12,000 physicians from the United States and around the world join efforts to dramatically changing the way doctors treat chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and cancer. With their philosophy of “prevention over pills,” these doctors are working to empower patients to take control of their own health.
- Nutrition Facts — The latest in peer-reviewed nutrition and health research in easy to understand bites.
- Plant-Based Health Professionals — Downloadable fact sheets, disease specific information and list of films
- True Health Initiative — World renown experts combating fake facts with evidence-based, fundamentals of lifestyle and medicine.
Let thy food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.HIPPOCRATES (400 BC)
Documentaries & Interviews with WFPB Physicians, Health Professionals & Plant-Based Athletes
- Forks Over Knives — “Let food be thy medicine” is put to the test as everyday people with common chronic conditions aim to take control of their lives and an reduce dependency on medications. View Trailer.
- The Game Changers — a must-see for athletes or anyone who is concerned about eating meat protein for strength. View Trailer.
- What The Health — what leading health organizations do not want us to know about how they profit from our chronic illnesses. View Trailer.
- Why Doctors Don’t Recommend Veganism Series
- World’s Top Nutrition Experts Explain Scientific Proven Benefits of a Whole Food Plant Based Diet
- The Benefits of a Whole Food Plant Based Diet and The Consequences of Unhealthy Lifestyles Choices
Books for WFBP Eating
There are many books by leading whole food plant-based physicians, dieticians and lifestyle coaches. These are books have been useful for my family. Many authors also have additional recipe books to accompany their primary book and even programs if you need lifestyle coaching.
Food Over Medicine: The Conversation That Could Save Your Life by Pamela A. Popper, PhD, ND
Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health by Gene Stone
How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Michael Greger, MD
Apps for Everyday Living
Favorite Videos on Health, Longevity, Chronic Disease, and Weightloss
Food Over Medicine Interview with Pamela Popper, PHD, ND
Can Vegans Get Enough Protein? by Neal Barnard, MD, FACC
Cheese—How Breaking an Addiction Can Revolution Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD, FACC
Foods for Protecting the Body & Mind by Neal Barnard, MD, FACC
Diabetes Reversal & Weight Loss by Neal Barnard, MD, FACC
How to a Balance Your Hormones by Neal Barnard, MD, FACC
How Not to Die – Animated Video by Michael Greger, MD
Reverse Diabetes without Medication by Neal Barnard, MD, FACC
Nutrition and Heart Disease: How to Prevent Against Heart Disease by Kim A,. Williams, Sr., MD, Board Certified Cardiovascular Disease